ACTIVITY IN BRIEF
In the month of October, the Québec Government (Export Québec) will be setting up a new office in Houston to better serve Quebec companies seeking to do business in the vast Texas market and in neighbouring states.
As a result, the World Trade Centre Montréal is organizing a seminar during which guest experts will address several aspects of doing business in Texas. You will be able to speak to the presenters and entrepreneurs in attendance about their respective sectors, and benefit from their advice on the best development strategies to adopt. Come assess this market’s potential for your business.
A trade mission to Texas will be announced shortly.
“Please note that this seminar will also be held in Quebec City on September 25.”
The activity will be held in French and English
A UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY TO…
- Learn about opportunities and the business environment in Texas
- Evaluate your development strategy for the Texas market
- Hear Quebec firms discuss their success in Texas and share their knowledge of the market
- Meet experts and leaders from Texas who have been specially invited to Quebec in order to discuss their projects and meet with promising Quebec companies
- Get an assessment of Quebec’s presence in Texas and of available services
- Understand the challenges and issues this market presents for Quebec firms
Texas continues to distinguish itself in the United States through the strength of its residential and commercial construction market.
- MUNICIPAL AND TRANSPORTATION INFRASTRUCTURES
Growth in Houston (6 million inhabitants) and other major urban centres is currently leading Texans to seek out Quebec suppliers for the modernization of their municipal infrastructures and bus fleets.
The global leader in hydrocarbon production and the top supplier to Quebec refineries in that respect; also a leader in wind energy—large energy groups are big technology buyers.
- MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY
As the largest medical centre in the world, with 45 hospitals, clinics, and research labs, the Texas Medical Center is a top buyer of medical technology developed in Quebec.
Headquarters of American Airlines and Southwest Airlines, home to NASA’s Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center and to the largest aircraft maintenance and repair centre. Several Quebec companies are planning to establish a presence in Texas.
- MULTIMEDIA / ITC
The Texas video game and digital technology industry, which has been booming for several years, could offer opportunities for Quebec studios and firms. The annual South by Southwest event in Austin remains an important global gathering for creative industries.
Major chains like Whole Foods, H-E-B, Fiesta, and Sysco must contend with a rapidly growing consumer base.
|Texas, facts and figures:
- Texas boasts one of the highest growth rates in the West (over 5% in 2014). For several years now, experts and corporate leaders have been taking notice of its particularly attractive business climate.
- Texas is a major industrial leader, and its big businesses are at the core of value chains in several industries, such as aerospace, energy, and electronics; it is also an industrial and technological hub, with leaders like Apple, AT&T, Dell, ExxonMobil, Electronic Arts, Hewlett-Packard, Novartis, Lockheed Martin, Samsung, Schlumberger, and Valero. There are 52 Texan companies in the Fortune 500.
- Texas has also become the second largest innovation hub in the United States after California, thanks to major investments made by Apple, Samsung, and Facebook. The city of Austin in particular has distinguished itself in the gaming and multimedia industry.
- Texas is currently Quebec’s second largest export market—behind the state of New York and ahead of China, France, and the United Kingdom—, reaching a peak of $3.6 billion CAD in 2014. Over sixty Quebec companies have a physical presence on the market.
- Texas also became Quebec’s leading global partner in 2015 (with a total volume of $11.5 billion CAD), when Quebec decided to satisfy a larger part of its oil and gas needs in Texas (rather than overseas).
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- All companies seeking to develop their business in Texas or to learn more about this market.
The activity will be of particular interest to companies in the following sectors:
- Green technology
- Information technology
- Life sciences
- Health technology
This activity is also intended for:
- Investors and financial institutions
- International project management advisors
- Companies with experience on the Texas market
The event is made possible through the contributions of the Ministère de l'Économie, de l'Innovation et des Exportations.