THE ACTIVITY IN BRIEF
On March 19, our guest experts will address several aspects of doing business in China. Come assess the potential of this market for your business.
You will be able to speak to the lecturers and entrepreneurs in attendance about their respective sectors, and benefit from their advice on the best business development strategies to adopt.
The activity will be held in French and English
A UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY TO…
- Assess your implementation strategy for the Chinese market
- Identify opportunities for your business
- Understand the business context and its evolution in China
- Hear testimonials from Quebec entrepreneurs that have been successful on this market
- Develop your network of contacts on this market
China, the world's second-largest economy, has become the focal point for international trade in Asia. Chinese domestic consumption is booming. The steadily growing middle class makes up a quarter of the population. The country's accelerated development in a wide variety of industrial sectors, its rapid urbanization, and a general upward movement in salary levels are creating a multitude of new needs that are making for a much more dynamic business climate.
China's robust economic growth, combined with an underdeveloped internal market, makes it a country favourable to foreign investment. After the United States, it is the largest destination for Quebec exports, valued at close to $2.64 billion in 2012.
There are a number of opportunities open to Quebec businesses in a range of sectors:
- Life sciences
- Clean energy
- Consumer goods
- Information technology and communications
- Medical technology
- Natural resources
China – a few facts and figures:
- One of the five main destinations for Canadian exports
- A GDP of $8.25 trillion USD in 2012*
- Estimated GDP growth of 7.8% in 2012, and expected growth of 8.2% in 2013
- $19.4 billion CAD in imports from Canada in 2012 (including Hong Kong), $2.64 billion of which were from Quebec
- A population of 1.3 billion inhabitants, including a middle class of between 280,000 and 340,000 million people
- The 4th largest destination for Quebec pork products on the international scene
* International Monetary Fund
A few of the many major projects currently under way in China:
- Construction of several new cities north-east of Hong Kong
- Zero carbon emission green community projects, including Beijing Changxindian, North Lake Changchun, and Taichung Hsinchu
- Construction of several skyscrapers, in such cities as Wuhan, Tianjin, and Changsha
- Development of the Peking metropolitan transport network (metro)
- Construction of several bridges, including one connecting Hong Kong, Macau, and Zhuhai
- The addition of several new airports, including one in Beijing, and the expansion of existing airports
- Construction of a Disneyland theme park in Shanghai
- Construction of what in a few years will be the largest hydroelectric dam in the world (Dadu River, Sichuan)
- Major development of e-commerce, 4G telecommunication networks, and cloud computing services in 68 cities and regions of the country, including Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, and Chongqing (pilot project)
- Implementation of the “Healthy China 2020” program, with a goal of providing health care services to all of the country’s citizens, which will result in the construction of many hospitals, health care centres, and clinics, and an increased demand for related goods and services, such as medical equipment and technologies
WHO SHOULD TAKE PART?
Entrepreneurs seeking to enter the Chinese market, or those already present on the market who want to learn more.
The activity will be of particular interest to businesses in the following sectors:
- Information technology and telecommunications
- Health care, life sciences, and medical equipment
- Green technologies
- Defence and security
- Consumer goods
- Mining and natural resources
Discover promising opportunities for your company on the Chinese market!